I spent the next couple hours with the saw, cutting down the bush, breaking the branches, and stuffing it into the green compost bin. Then I tilled the soil, which was now free of the large bush, and began thinking of better plants that I could put in its place. I got Romy to go to the Home Depot with me to find some native plants or other plants that don't need a lot of water. We ended up getting Lemon Bottlebrush, a Fig Tree, and Grape Vines which will produce red seedless grapes. All of these don't need a lot of water once established, which is good. Then I covered the ground around the new plants with about 2 inches of mulch.
Here are some pictures I took of the new garden section:
Bottlebrush in bloom.
The other Bottlebrush, not yet in bloom.
Red seedless grapevine on a bamboo trellis.
Three baby figs on the baby fig tree.
Posing with the new garden after a whole day of work in the backyard. Its finished!